Saturday, January 23, 2021

A New Year, A Blank Page?

Every year on New Year's Day, I sound like a broken record.  There is just something about that day that changes my mood into one of melancholy.  I've never been able to pinpoint the cause.  Nothing significant has happened to me in the past that would bring about this repetitive feeling.

Yet there it is.  Every year.

The ending of this past year should have been cause of celebration, right?  I mean, what could be worse than 2020?  Enter 2021.

(Ha!  I'm not really that pessimistic.)

The thing is there really is nothing magical about January 1 of any year.  We have a tendency to get past the hustle and bustle of the holidays and feel like it's time to start over.  Pull out a blank piece of paper.  Open up a fresh new journal.  Erase the troubles of the past year. 

The truth is that each year (and each month and each day) has its joys and sorrows.  We were never promised all good all of the time, and when we put that expectation on ourselves, on our circumstances, and on other people, we are truly disappointed.

It goes without saying that 2020 was a hard year.  The coronavirus, political angst, and racial issues brought out the worst in many.  It truly was an eye-opening year to see where our friends and families drew the line in the sand and showed what lies in their hearts.  It was discouraging, sad, and often times heartbreaking.  These issues alone brought feelings of isolation, fear, and concern over the unknown, leading to more anxiety and depression than already exists in our communities.

Personally, I also have to add in the deaths of two loved ones in the last quarter of the year. Totally blown away by these events that shook me.  A lot.

Then 2021 rolled in.  More political angst, and then the death of a beautiful young woman whom I loved.  We're only 23 days into this year as family and friends gather today to celebrate her life, and I'm isolated at home for another day due to a COVID-19 exposure.

Doesn't sound very positive, does it?

But we have to flip the coin and look at the rest of the story.

2020 brought more togetherness with those under our roofs (Good or bad!).  It brought out a bit more creativity by taking away our busy schedules, places we love to visit, and restaurants we enjoy eating at.  Most of us gained an appreciation for others -- for being able to gather together, whether at church, around the dinner table, or at a baseball game. (Oh, to get to see our Cardinals play again!)  And some of us found a love for working at home.

For our family, we also had the joy of two moves: moving out of our old home and into an apartment and then from the apartment to our "forever" house that felt like home from Day 1.  It was a lot of moving in a 4-month time frame, but it was worth it.  We also have the excitement of a new great-nephew joining our family soon.  We could also add in having time to write letters or mail cards to others, having more time to read a good book and digging into the Bible more, playing games together, walking around our neighborhoods more, and catching up on Netflix.  

Good and bad happens.  The thing is if I wrap all of my emotions up into what happens to me, I will be miserable.  Has the last year been hard, scary, sad? Absolutely!  

But there has been blessing, too.  Why?  Because God is still with us.  Knowing Jesus is what gives me hope, because I know that he is always there, always in control, is never taken by surprise, and promises to be with me.

Paul of the Bible didn't have it easy.  His ministry was fraught with hardship, yet he was still able to write these words in Philippians 4:4-14

"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all.  The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you.

"I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me.  Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.  I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know that it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.  Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles."

How could Paul have had that peace in all circumstances?  Because he knew Jesus.  Even after Paul had worked to stop the spread of Christianity by killing Christians, Jesus revealed himself to Paul and he believed.  The scales had been removed from his eyes and he saw Jesus for who he is: the Son of God, our redeemer.  

Has Jesus been calling out to you?  "If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.  For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved" (Romans 10:9-10).

So as we finish up the first month of this new year, I pray to remember in all circumstances that God is the solid rock in which I stand.  The world will shake and rattle me, but he is my ever-present help in times of trouble. (Psalm 46)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment