Thursday, August 16, 2012

Menu Challenge

What a week!  I feel far more normal today, which is partially due to getting back into a routine now that school has started...although I could do without the super early mornings!!

Dinner tonight was minus my baby, since he was invited to go see the Cards game tonight.  With just the kids and me, I decided to just throw a bag of chicken tenders in the oven that I didn't realize was in the freezer.  (Gotta love surprises!)  Along with that, I fixed broccoli and noodles to use up a partial box of pasta and the bunch of broccoli that came in the produce basket this week.  That is one of my favorite things to eat.

A friend shared this link through Facebook a few weeks ago for single ingredient banana "ice cream," and I've really been wanting to try it: http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/.  In the last co-op pick-up, I ended up with two bunches of bananas that went from green to overly ripe very quickly (I'm sure due to the heatwave we've had and the hot temps inside the house).  I went ahead and sliced them and flash froze them for a later date.  Today was the later date.

I made a very small batch of just plain banana, a bit larger batch with peanut butter, and the rest with cocoa and peanut butter.  All of my kids loved it (chocolate/peanut butter got the most votes), and my daughter said, "This is the bomb diggity!  Can I have more?"  One of my daughters doesn't like peanut butter or chocolate, but the banana was just too plain for her.  I think next time I might see what the consistency turns out like with strawberries or another fruit added.  Great solution for too many bananas!  (I get tired of freezing bananas for muffins at a later date.)  And a great solution for the three of us who are lactose-intolerant and want something frozen and creamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment