Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Veggies, Veggies, Veggies

This month is an odd meal month for us, mostly because of my hurried planning at the end of July.  I have another week's worth of menus in my plan for August, but obviously that won't cover us unless I either do more shopping or get creative.  As of right now, I'm choosing creativity.

For a few years now, I have participated in Community Helpings Co-op for our fruits and veggies (and a few other fun extras from time to time).  Monday was pick-up day, so I have a box worth of produce to implement into the menu.

Tonight I decided to make some pepperoni roll-ups for dinner, but I knew that with five of us at the table I needed more.  I had two jumbo (and I mean jumbo) carrots that I cut into sticks for my less creative (and more picky) eaters, and for the rest of us, I created this:


I had a partial box of whole wheat couscous in the cabinet, so I cooked that as instructed.  (This particular recipe used one cup of uncooked couscous, which yields about two cups when cooked.)  In a small skillet, I heated olive oil and added one peeled and diced sweet potatoes and a few slices of onion (which I also diced).  After the potatoes were tender, I added two leaves of collard greens that had been chopped and cooked for just a minute or so.  I also sprinkled the veggies with Emeril's Essence (a staple in my spice cabinet).  When done, I stirred this into the couscous, and I served some crumbled feta cheese on the side for any takers.  

Even my non-sweet-potato-liking husband liked this recipe, and my daughters asked me to make another batch so they could pack it in their school lunches for tomorrow.  For someone who had never cooked with greens in the past, I have found that I can throw them into a lot of different dishes.

Next up for some night this week: tackling the quinoa in the cabinet.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment